Whole Blood Donation
By making a whole blood donation at Huntington Hospital you will not only save lives but help the hospital maintain an adequate blood supply for the community. Blood has a limited shelf life and the hospital uses more than 17,000 blood products annually. Every unit counts – including yours!
The Blood Donor Center is located on the ground floor on the Wingate Bldg. off of Fairmount Avenue near to the Emergency Department. Please park in the structure across from the donor center and your parking will be validated.
Make an appointment today – (626) 397- 5422
Please note: The Blood Donor Center will be closed on Tuesday, April 7, due to a large high school blood drive.
The Donor Center will resume it’s normal hours after these dates.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
- You must be in general good health
- You must be 18 years of age or older – 16 and 17 year olds may donate with written parent consent.
- You must weigh a minimum of 110 pounds.
- People over the age of 75 may donate at the donor center with a written note from a physician.
- Diabetics may donate if their diabetes is controlled with diet or oral medication.
- Aspirin is acceptable if the donor is not donating platelets
- Cancer survivors may donate only if they have been successfully treated for basal cell skin cancer, squamous cell skin cancer or carcinoma in-situ of the cervix.
- Donors with high blood pressure may donate if pressure is controlled with medication
- Hydrate - Be sure to drink plenty of fluids the day of your donation.
- Wear Something Comfortable - Wear clothing with sleeves that can easily be rolled up above the elbow.
- Maintain a Healthy Level of Iron in Your Diet Before Donating - If possible include iron enriched foods in your diet, especially in the weeks before your donation
- Bring a List of Medications You Are Currently Taking
- Bring a Photo ID – We will also need to establish a permanent identification number for you such as your drivers license number or we may use the last four digits of your social security number.
Each time you make a blood donation at Huntington Hospital you will receive plenty of post donation snacks such as cookies, yogurt, ice cream, juice and or water. In addition, you may enroll in the Rewards Program, please call Donor Center to receive the current information.
Unfortunately not everyone is eligible to donate whole blood. Please review the information below to determine if you may donate.
Temporary Whole Blood Deferral
- Cold or flu - must be symptom free for 48 hours
- Antibiotics – medication must be completed for at least 48 hours and donor must be symptom free
- Shots/Inoculations – call the Donor Center for further information
- Pregnancy – At least six weeks after vaginal delivery
- Tattoo – must wait 12 months
- Blood Transfusion – must wait 12 months
- Travel – Please inform the nurse if you have been out of the country in the past three years. Several countries (e.g., India, parts of Mexico and countries in South American) have temporary deferrals.
Indefinite Travel Deferral
- United Kingdom - three months cumulative time in the UK from 1980 to 1996
- Europe - five years cumulative time in Europe from 1980 to present
- Please inform your nurse if you were a member of the US Military, or a civilian military employee or dependent
Permanent Whole Blood Deferral
Please call the Blood Donor Center if you have health history concerns or questions: (626) 397- 5422
- HIV infection
- Jaundice – after the age of 10