Medical Student Responsibilities
The resident/intern will assign surgical cases for the following day. Medical students are expected to:
- Read about the procedure and disease process the night before the case.
- Perform the History and Physical for the assigned case(s) under the supervision of the resident/intern.
- Scrub/assist in surgery. (this includes helping transfer the patient off the OR
table and to recovery).
- Write the operative note and/or post-op orders with the assistance of the
- Write a post-op note within 2 to 4 hours of the completion of the procedure.
- Follow these patients throughout their hospital course. This includes writing SOAP note each morning, following up on any labs or radiographic studies, and formulating treatment plans with assistance from the resident/intern.
- Be prepared to present a brief, informal presentation of the patient and his/her hospital course.