Support Groups for Stroke Survivors
Stroke Support Group
The stroke support group provides information on various resources to assist stroke patients rehabilitate and cope with the adjustment after suffering a stroke. This group gives the survivors/caregivers/family members the opportunity to socialize with other patients experiencing a similar situation.
The stroke support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 11 AM – 12 NOON
- Features various guest speakers as well as interactive discussions by the meeting participants to share their own problems, challenges, and solutions.
- Andrew Imbus, PA and stroke coordinator from the HH stroke center facilitates addressing any of the medical questions brought by group member
- There is NO COST to attend and participate
- Please call Harvey Shacket at (626) 397-2214 for more information
The stroke survivor support group meets in Conference Rm 4, on the ground floor of the La Vina Building next to the Braun Auditorium
Stroke Family/Caregiver Support Group
A self directed support group run by the participants that occurs simultaneously with the aphasia group but in a separate area to provide a forum for support and resources to family, friends and caregivers of stroke survivors.
The stroke family/caregiver support group meets every Friday, from 11 AM – 12 NOON
The aphasia group is designed for individuals with speech difficulties. The group focuses on practicing speech and language skills in a group environment, as well as an opportunity to get to know others.
A speech-language therapist or trained staff will lead each Huntington Aphasia Group meeting. The first few minutes will be spent discussing concerns and/or socializing. Activities include items such as structured speech games, discussions, and current events. There are occasionally informational sessions of current interests presented by Huntington staff members or outside specialists.
The aphasia group meets every Friday, from 11 AM – 12 NOON
- Facilitated by Amy Bowman, SLP, speech pathologist
- Regular attendance is required and notification of absences, sickness or planned vacations is requested in order to maintain group continuity. After three consecutive uninformed absences, your spot will be forfeited and given to an individual on the wait list. Continued outside involvement with other group members and other stroke support groups are encouraged.
- A $50 annual donation to Huntington Memorial Hospital is requested
- Please call (626) 397-5153 for more information
The stroke family/caregiver support group and the aphasia group meet in Conference Rm 2, on the ground floor of the La Vina Building next to the Braun Auditorium