Comprehensive Stroke Center
The Comprehensive Stroke Center at Huntington Hospital offers 24-hour emergent diagnostic and treatment services to patients presenting with acute ischemic stroke and other neurovascular disorders including aneurysms, subarachnoid hemorrhage, intracerebral hemorrhage, venous sinus thrombosis, carotid and vertebral dissection, symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid stenosis, transient ischemic attack (TIA) and vascular brain malformations.
Setting the Standard in Stroke Care
Huntington Hospital's stroke center is distinguished as a certified primary stroke center by The Joint Commission, the foremost accrediting body in healthcare in the United States. This designation is awarded to select centers that pass a rigorous on-site review and a thorough examination of the program and patient care. The certification recognizes the hospital's commitment to following national standards and guidelines that can significantly improve outcomes for stroke patients. Huntington Hospital's stroke center is also an approved stroke center for Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services.
Huntington Hospital was one of the first hospitals in the region to offer the catheter-delivered Penumbra System, which can grasp or suction some clots out of blocked blood vessels up to eight hours after onset of stroke symptoms. The device can be used in conjunction with tPA or alone and may be an option for patients who may not be eligible to receive tPA or blood-thinning drugs. In addition, Huntington Hospital's stroke center focuses on prevention of future stroke with a combination of medications and changes in lifestyle designed to improve the patient's quality of life. Huntington Hospital's Comprehensive Stroke Center services include:
- Dedicated 22-bed inpatient stroke unit
- Highly sophisticated satellite telemedicine technology "teleneurology" and audio/video-conferencing equipment that allow Huntington Hospital stroke specialists to conduct real-time consultations anywhere in the world
- Multi-modal MRI and 320 detector multi-modal CT imaging (whole-organ imaging)
- Two state-of-the-art equipped interventional suites with bi-plane angiography
- Transcranial Doppler neurovascular lab
- A continuum of care that includes a 24-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit and an Outpatient Rehabilitation (PT/OT/SP) Program within the walls of Huntington Hospital
- Support programs for stroke patients and their families and significant others
For more information, please call (626) 397-2515, or for direct patient transfer, call the house supervisor at (626) 397-5000
What is a stroke?